Friday 19 May 2017

Tiff from Tiffstitches

This week's blogger is someone I "met" about two years ago although she has been blogging almost as long as I have.  As well as her stitching posts she also takes part in the Top 5 Tuesday Questions which are always fun to read.  Please welcome Tiff from



1. Please introduce yourself – name, where you are from, family, pets etc.

Hi, I’m Tiffstitch, born in a small town in Ontario, Canada near Michigan, USA. I have 3 siblings scattered throughout Canada and my parents and cousins, Grandma, aunts and uncles live in the same small town we all grew up in. Currently I’m in Vermont and live with DH and DD and a crazy cat named Max.



2. How long have you been stitching and how did you start?

My roommate from first year undergrad taught me how to cross stitch. I’ve been stitching off and on since then (1995) with mostly on the last 7 or 8 years. My first project I didn’t realize you had to split the threads and I stitched with all 6 strands! My kit ran out and I had to buy more DMC and that’s how it all started. My first project was a 3”x 3” little kit, my next one was 8 x11!


3. How long have you been blogging and what inspired you to start? Is there a story behind your blog title?

I started blogging in 2012 I believe and had a different URL. That one kept getting spammed though, so I switched to Blogger and have had this current blog since August 2013. I was doing some hobby photography and my nick on that forum was Tiffpix, so I picked Tiffstitch for my cross-stitching.


4. How would you describe your stitching style? Are you a serial starter, a rotator, a OAAT (one at a time), highly organised, random and eclectic, etc.?

I don’t think I’ve ever really been a OAAT stitcher. Even when I mostly worked on one larger project, I still pulled out smaller projects to work on. I enjoy starting the most of any aspect of a project, so the Ultimate Challenges in honour of SoCal Debbie were a lot of fun. However, this did lead to a ponderous amount of WIPs that I hope to complete over the next few years. I think my oldest WIP is from at least 10 years ago now.  (See photo below of oldest WIP).  I’m trying a new rotation this year to be better organized. The first week of every month is BAP week, then SAL week, then WIP week, and 4th week and on is anything goes. It’s working out well so far.

Unfinished Basset Hound


5. Do you have a favourite designer or style of design you are drawn to?

There are so many great designers out there that I can’t choose one favourite. I enjoy the lettering projects from Lizzie Kate, the cute smalls from Durene Jones, and anything that piques my interest: dragons, realistic tigers, wolves are a few key interests.


6. Which piece are you most proud of in your collection?

This is close between Homeward Trail for my Grandma, that had a few different techniques and tons of satin DMC, and it took years to finish, and Tribal Basset. I didn’t start this until after we lost our beloved Otto in 2014 and it helped with the grieving process since I managed to adapt the pattern to fit his particular characteristics a little more.

Homeward Trail from Cross Stitch & Needlework

Tribal Basset


7. What has been your worst stitching disaster?

Hmm. Coke got spilled on the unicorn and not knowing better I cleaned it with bleach, then washed it out after the framer looked at me a little funny and refused to frame it until I washed it out. ;) It turned out okay and has lasted over 20 years, so it was a fortunate result. I spelled the name of DH’s cousin's beloved golden retriever incorrectly and had to fix it after it was framed, that wasn’t fun, but I got it done.

Mouski the retriever


8. Which new technique would you like to try, either stitching, finishing or another craft?

I would like to try quilting. I think it would aid my fully finishing my cross stitch pieces, plus I have a lot of baby clothes I’d like to turn into quilts. I’ve heard it’s highly addictive with fabric stash, so I’m also a little afraid to get started as my cross stitch stash has far surpassed the SABLE levels. I live in hope that DD will like stitching too and will help me work through it :D


9. Do you have a box of finished-but-not-fully-finished pieces? Or is everything FFO'd? What's your favourite way to fully finish a project and what do you do with them?

I have a drawer full. I need to take more time to FF everything. I really enjoyed trying out the cube finishes from Jo’s easy tutorial.  I did that for 2 Xmas items this year and I think it went very well. There are a few others I have in mind for cube finishes too, and maybe that will happen this year.

Drawer of Shame


10. Which of your projects most represents "you"?

I think I’d have to say my Ink Circles Reflections of Canada. I’m stitching it on fabric from an LNS near my old hometown, it has lots of bits of Canadiana, including large hockey sticks(!), and it has a repeating pattern. I do much better when I have routine vs. change or spontaneity, so repeats are a good thing.

Ink Circles Reflections of Canada


11. Tell us a secret about yourself. Or a joke. About anything!

DD’s current favourite joke is “There were 2 muffins in the oven. One says ‘Wow, it’s getting hot in here.’ The other muffin says ‘Ah! A talking muffin!’


12. Anything you would like to add?

I love reading all your blogs and cheering on your stitching triumphs and commiserating with the inevitable frogging. It’s really nice being part of the community. Happy Stitching!






20 comments:

  1. What a fun family portrait Tiff! Do you still have blue hair? Wow to Homeward Trail! I have that on my to do list for someday. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love reading your blog. Thank you for taking the time to share with us even more about you. I really love Homeward Trail It is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased to meet you and see what you all look like in you portrait! I love your stitching and Homeward Trail is gorgeous! I do not think I have ever visited you blog, so I am off to do that now. That is one reason I love that Jo is doing this so I can visit new stitchers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Tiffany, so lovely to learn more about you and your stitching journey. Some gorgeous pieces that you have shown us (I am pretty sure that I have Homeward Trail in my stash pile somewhere - such a gorgeous design). I love your cartoon family portrait - very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice meeting you!I loved reading your disaster stories and how you got over them!Good for you!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your post Tiffany. The closest I have ever been to the USA is on the cable car over Niagra in 1995..a thrilling experience.
    I love your Tribal Basset and an glad you turned your coke disaster around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to get to know you more Tiff. You have some beautiful pieces there especially homeward trail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to learn more about you. Your Homeward Trail is so lovely and the pups are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to read about you, Tiff. And I lOVE the first picture that you you and your family. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to learn a bit more about you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely to learn more about you and your stitching journey Tiff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pleased to meet you Tiff. I'm so glad Jo is doing this and it is fun to get to know new people and hear all about their stitching style and life in general. Your family drawing is adorable. I'm anxious to come visit you on your blog and see your stitches. RJ @stitching friends forever 2

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to know more about you.The fun family portrait is so creative!
    I like your rotation methods for stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to read about you. Love the picture of you and your family. Your two pieces that you are proudest of are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to see you on here, I enjoy seeing people that I already follow as you do an overview of some of your projects. The tribal basset hound is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to learn more about you and see Homeward Trail again! It's nice to see pictures of some of your early finishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Tiff, nice to learn more about you! I too would like to get into quilting, but where to find the time?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Finally found time to catch up and just had to see which bloggers were blogger of the week while I was so busy. So great to learn more about a friend of mine Tiff. Great answers Tiff!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm just now catching up, too. Love all your work. Who can resist those bassets? Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your post! Well done on showing the drawer of shame :) love seeing your gorgeous stitching :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.