Friday 13 October 2017

Beth from Beth's Needlework Stash

This week's Blogger of the Week is another person I met through The Scarlet Letter Years blog.  She does some beautiful needlework as well as cross stitch.  One of my favourite projects is her 20/20 Challenge.  You must go read up on that after you've read the interview from Beth of



1. Please introduce yourself – name, where you are from, family, pets etc.

I am Beth and I live in Illinois. I have one wonderful husband, 3 children - 2 boys in college and a daughter who is a senior in high school. Almost an empty nester! My daughter has a cat that loves me, although I only like it.


2. How long have you been stitching and how did you start?

I have been stitching since I was around 6 years old.  My mom purchased stamped scarves for my sister and I.  My sister took a few stitches, crumpled it up and threw it under the bed.  I made several and then taught myself crewel.  I still have a few of those pieces.  I stopped stitching in college but started again after graduation.  When I married, we moved to the Twin Cities in Minnesota and I discovered the Embroidery Guild of America.  A whole new world of stitching opened up for me! Group correspondence courses, workshops, national seminars!  I have never looked back. 

Beth's First Needlework


3. How long have you been blogging and what inspired you to start? Is there a story behind your blog title?

I started blogging in May of 2010.  I wanted a way to journal my stitching and it seemed like a great way to start.  A lady who does not blog any more inspired me and helped me get started.


4. How would you describe your stitching style? Are you a serial starter, a rotator, a OAAT (one at a time), highly organised, random and eclectic, etc.?


I like stitching whatever makes me happy.  I do pilot stitch for ANG and that forces me to have a deadline, but normally, I stitch what I feel like getting done. I always have at least 3 projects in the works: a large project that requires time and thought, a medium project that strikes my fancy and a small project to carry with me.  If I have too many projects started and around, I start panicking.  I do like having a canvas piece to stitch as that is one of my favorite mediums.  I do rotate through some of my larger projects as they get a little tedious.  


5. Do you have a favourite designer or style of design you are drawn to?

I love Gay Ann Rogers designs.  She does canvas work and her instructions are wonderful.  Her pieces can be challenging or very straight forward.  I always learn something when I stitch her pieces. The other thing I love are geometric designs.  Whenever I start a new one, my boys tease me about it. "Haven't you done this one before? It looks the same as the last piece you stitched."


Malachite Heart by Gay Ann Rogers


6. Which piece are you most proud of in your collection?

The piece I am most proud of is Elizabeth by Gay Ann Rogers. She was quite the challenge for me.

Elizabeth by Gay Ann Rogers


7. What has been your worst stitching disaster?


I have a hardanger angel in my basement that I counted wrong.  I was so angry I rumpled it up and threw it across the room.  It is close to being done but I am off and yet I can't bear to through it away.


8. Which new technique would you like to try, either stitching, finishing or another craft?


I think I am at the point where I want to get better at one of the many techniques I enjoy rather than trying a new one.  But you never know!


9. Do you have a box of finished-but-not-fully-finished pieces? Or is everything FFO'd? What's your favourite way to fully finish a project and what do you do with them?

I have lots of projects that need to be finished.  I now know that I will always have projects that won't be finished.  I like learning the technique and stitching the piece, but I don't necessarily want to hang it on my wall.


10. Which of your projects most represents "you"?

I think the project that most represents me is the ANG Stitch of The Month that I taught to my guild. I stitched it 2 times and it has Hilton stitches that I love.


Flowers of Italy by Ro Pace

Blue (above)
and
Red, White & Blue (below)



11. Tell us a secret about yourself. Or a joke. About anything!

No secrets to tell. I tell most things on my blog :-)


12. Anything you would like to add?

I stitch to enjoy myself. It is to relax and make something beautiful.  My stitching is not perfect and I don't enter things to be judged.  One day I may, but nothing is good enough right now.  I try to stitch a little every day and make a little progress on my projects.  I think stitching should bring you joy, If it doesn't, it is time to start another hobby.






26 comments:

  1. Nice to learn more about you Beth.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I always love reading about other bloggers.

      Delete
  2. Nice meeting you!I haven't ever done hardanger or special stitches.AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariadne, you should try them as you may discover a new love!

      Delete
  3. Hi Beth, so nice to read about your love of stitching.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CJ,
      Glad you enjoyed meeting me as I loved writing it!

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet you Beth, your stitching is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Beth, nice to meet you.
    The flowers or Italy is stunning and fabulous - well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. I really love Hilton stitches!

      Delete
  6. Hello, Beth, it's nice to learn about your stitchy background . Your Queen Elizabeth is absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She took a bit to stitch, but I do love her!

      Delete
  7. Beth, I love seeing your stitching! Queen Elizabeth is amazing and I am so pleased to see you show her in this post :o)
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so much fun to stitch although quite the stretch.

      Delete
  8. Hi Beth, nice to meet you! I ad admire your canvas work, I have not yet had the courage to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canvas work is so much fun. Take the plunge!

      Delete
  9. So nice to read about your stitching career and to see some of your embroidered pieces. They are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to meet you Beth. Your work is beautiful and I really love the Malachite Heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malachite Heart was great fun! I hope to get a few more of Gay Ann's hearts stitched and hanging on my hat tree before next year.

      Delete
  11. Lovely to read about your stitching Beth. Those speciality pieces are so intricate and neat! I love your Queen Elizabeth, what an amazing finish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to meet you, Beth. I love that you have pictures of your first needlework! And the Elizabeth piece is amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethan. Elizabeth was so much fun and work to stitch.

      Delete
  13. So nice to meet you, Beth. Your stitching is gorgeous! As others have said the Elizabeth piece is beyond words. RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RJ-Thank you so much! My mom keeps threatening to steal Elizabeth!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.