Friday 8 December 2017

Mary from Mary's Stitching Spot

This week's Blogger of the Week is a newer-to-me Blogger but I am glad that I found her blog, she has stitched some gorgeous ornaments and a wonderful version of the Hands On Design's Summer Chalk on a stunning red fabric.  To see all these and more after the interview, pop over to visit Mary of:



1. Please introduce yourself – name, where you are from, family, pets etc.

My name is Mary and I am from Tampa, Florida.  I currently reside in Paducah, Kentucky with my husband Bill, 3 sons (Bradley, Blakley and Brentley) and 2 dogs named Max and Hana.


2. How long have you been stitching and how did you start?

A roommate of mine showed me how to cross stitch in 1992 and I did 2 projects for my nephews.  Then I stopped until 2000 when I became pregnant with my first son.


3. How long have you been blogging and what inspired you to start?  Is there a story behind your blog title?

I started my blog in 2011 as a way to show my work and to see my progress.  I am afraid that it is kind of boring but I love some of the SAL's I have participated in this year because of my blog.  My title is Mary's Stitching Spot because I was trying to make it sound cozy like sitting in comfortable pj's with a warm drink and just relaxing with cross stitch.


4. How would you describe your stitching style?  Are you a serial starter, a rotator, a OAAT (one at a time), highly organised, random and eclectic, etc.?

For a long time I stitched nothing but smalls because I found it was easier with my sons when they were younger.  I am now branching out to more larger and challenging pieces.  I am on a journey of self discovery with my cross stitch.  I use to stitch only cute/seasonal projects but I want to do more.  Not ready for HAED's but you never know.  I do like to rotate between projects so I don't get bored but I try not to have more than 7 or 8 WIPS.

Words by Palko-Lap



5. Do you have a favourite designer or style of design you are drawn to?

I want to try Mirabilias one day.  I am on a Tempting Tangles, By The Bay and The Prairie Schooler kick.  I have always loved Rosewood Manor.  I love quaker designs as well.


6. Which piece are you most proud of in your collection?

There are a few but the most recent cross stitch I am proud of is the Circle de Cirque by Ink Circles Design that I made for my son, Bradley. I also did the SAL from Palko-Lap's blog (see above) and I loved picking my own colors.



7. What has been your worst stitching disaster?

I have had a few over the years.  The worst for me is getting permanent pink marker on my project after it was completed and the fabric was white linen.


8. Which new technique would you like to try, either stitching, finishing or another craft?

The 2 things I have always wanted to do are Hardanger and Knitting.  Not sure if I ever will but will admire other people's beautiful work.


9. Do you have a box of finished-but-not-fully-finished pieces?  Or is everything FFO'd?  What's your favourite way to fully finish a project and what do you do with them?

I have a small box of shame.  I try to FFO projects,  especially if they are ornaments, pillows or smalls.  I have a basket where I put my smalls that I rotate seasonally.  I need to do more for summer and spring; I tend to stitch a lot of Fall and Halloween. No matter how much I stitch I still feel like it isn't enough.


10. Which of your projects most represents "you"?

Besides seasonal, I love Quaker, animals, and nature. My daisy biscornu is one of my most favorite pieces.



11. Tell us a secret about yourself.  Or a joke.  About anything!

I am very unorganized and forgetful.  I am trying hard to work on this however.


12. Anything you would like to add?

Thank you so much to Jo for finding my blog, and me, worthwhile to have as the blogger of the week. I really appreciate the time and energy that goes into it and I love to get to know other stitchers in the community.
















22 comments:

  1. Hello Mary! It is very nice to meet you. I will be coming over to your blog to view all of your pretty stitches. I enjoyed your interview and hearing about your stitching history and life in general. Have a lovely weekend. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice meeting you was well. Thank you for taking the time to read my interview.

      Delete
  2. Great answers. Thanks for sharing Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, So nice to meet another stitcher. Just hopped over to your blog and became a follower. You stitch quite a variety of patterns and all lovely. Enjoyed learning about you and we certainly have being forgetful and disorganization in common, maybe its a "mary" thing! Have a great weekend, Mary@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love meeting new stitchers too. Thank you for the taking the time to look at my blog and subscribing. I am now following your blog as well and can't wait to go back and look at all of your beautiful stitching.

      Delete
  4. Nice to meet you Mary.
    You do beautiful work, the Ink Circles piece is stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great to get to know you too. Thank you, the Ink Circles is still my largest piece and probably my favorite so far.

      Delete
  5. It's lovely to meet you Mary - thank you for sharing your projects x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to look at my projects.

      Delete
  6. Paducah! A familiar area indeed haha (I was across the river in MO). I like how you stitch such a wide variety of patterns. The stormtrooper helmet is great, and I'm always up for seeing FPS work~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world indeed. Thank you so much for looking at my blog.

      Delete
  7. Hello Mary, how nice to get to know you and your blog which I hadn't seen before. It's always great to add a new blog to my blog roll. Lovely projects that you show here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much. I have added your blog to my list was well as a few others. I enjoy meeting new stitchers and this has been a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to learn more about you Mary, I really enjoyed your post. Circle de Cirque is beautiful Mary! I think we share the same secret...shhhh don't tell anybody! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to "meet" you Mary, and to see more of your stitching. I love the Ink Circles sampler you stitched for your son, it's striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and it was nice to meet you too.

      Delete
  11. Hi Mary, nice to meet you! I live your 'words' design, the greens and pinks go so well together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It is very nice to meet you too.

      Delete
  12. Nice meeting you.Happy new Year!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.